Publication Date: February 7, 2020
Through the Skillful State Network, the Markle Foundation helps governors understand how to build skills-based labor markets in which all adults can thrive in the changing economy.
As part of this effort, Markle helped inform a vision for the future of California’s labor market and identify potential opportunities. Markle drew upon its experience of working closely with America’s most innovative governors combined with an in-depth analysis of California’s labor market to define specific opportunities and actions needed to support a thriving labor market.
The final report —highlighted the opportunities for California to 1) dramatically expand high-quality lifelong education for working adults 2) engage some of the world’s most dynamic employers in the creation of a skilled talent pipeline, and 3) leverage the unique data and technology capabilities in the state to help residents make informed decisions as they navigate the changing economy. It also highlights the importance of making sure that Californians from every region and those from traditionally underserved populations have the support they need to thrive. To help California develop a plan of action to meet these ambitious goals, the report includes potential options state government could consider and provides a framework to understand the relative impact of each option.
The following analyses were also shared to support the creation the final report:
- California “Fact-Pack” provides a detailed analysis of the key trends shaping California’s statewide and regional labor markets, including labor demand and supply demographics, wages, and skills.
- California regional earnings analysis shows occupational earnings compared to employment growth over time at the state and MSA level.
- California regional supply and demand analysis illustrates current and projected skill gaps by comparing labor demand and supply by occupation and level of educational attainment at the state and MSA level.
- Sample intervention details provides additional examples of potential government actions that build momentum, possible metrics to measure success, and ranks potential interventions by expected impact.
- Additional case-studies summarizes existing programs from around the world in areas related to sample interventions that can help inform state leaders plans.