WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SKILLS-BASED PRACTICES?
A skills-based approach to employment creates a more equitable job market that "screens in" for skills rather than "screening out" those that lack traditional credentials like four-year degrees, a barrier which can disproportionately affect adults returning to the workforce or changing jobs, people of color, veterans and the economically disadvantaged.
Skills-based Employment Practices
Evaluating candidates based on skills unlocks opportunity for the 7 in 10 Americans who don't have a four-year degree.
a focus on skills can reduce bias and result in 30% more qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds
removing degree requirements can decrease time to hire by 2-12 days, a significant reduction on the average of 24 days
screening for skills can result in a 50% improvement in retention rate
HOW THE NETWORK WILL DEVELOP AND ADVANCE SKILLS-BASED PRACTICES
- Convene & Support Champions: Connect and support business leaders in the vanguard of skills-based practices
- Demonstrate the Case: Improve employers' understanding of the business cases for skills-based practices
- Improve Capability: Enhance businesses' abilities through knowledge, tools and resources to implement skills-based practices
- Raise the Profile: Increase awareness of the value of skills-based practices for both employers and U.S. workers
- Align the Environment: Encourage policymakers and other players in the labor market to support the adoption of skills-based practices
EXAMPLES OF SKILLS-BASED PRACTICES IN ACTION
The founding member companies of the Rework America Business Network have already adopted skills-based practices and are at varying stages of implementation. Highlighted below are skills-based practices from our member companies: